Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Goals Revised

Aside from a few months in middle school when I decided that I was going to write everything, poems, novels, short stories (which you can image did not pan out very well) all the writing I have done has been academic writing for classes. Thorough out the years I have noticed that most of my teachers have had the same comments upon returning my edited papers: use more commas and make sure you avoid the passive voice.

I have been fully aware of my comma underuse for years. But for some reason I have neglected to do anything about it. (sentence that begins with a FANBOY) I continued to write sentences, pause to look over them, realize that my comma use had to be far to infrequent, and then instead of fixing them I just moved on because it was easier to do than actually bother to look up where to properly place them. Looking back over the English classes that I have taken through my life I am slightly shocked to realize that I do not remember being instructed on commas since 6th grade. Not that I can use this as an excuse for my resistance to taking the time out of my day to find the answers that my education was not providing, however I feel that there are a lot of misconceptions regarding commas and more English teachers should take time to address them. But then maybe I would not find sentences in my writing such as:

While Lovelace praises the action of fighting Owen condemns it because unlike Lovelace he had actually seen combat and realized that regardless of hundreds of years of literature glorifying the actions of soldiers, there is nothing pleasant about war”.

Looking back on this is realize that it is a run on sentence without commas, yet this is a final draft of a paper that I turned in for a grade. For this reason I plan on making sure that I use the proper number of them when I am writing in the future; this way my academic papers will be more grammatically correct and clear and professional. (compound sentence with a semicolon)


My relationship with the passive voice is significantly more complicated then commas. I can trace it back to my Junior year of high school, when, despite years of English classes this is the first time I remember a teacher actually explaining what the passive voice was and why we should avoid it when writing. The only problem was I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. I got that the active voice was what I should be using in essays, and based on several papers I received graded from that same teacher I knew I was using the passive voice and when she pointed it out in my writing. I could recognize it, but I could not stop myself from using it once or twice in every paper. (Compound sentence with comma) Now when proofreading my own papers I can generally catch myself and change my sentences so they are using the active voice. Yet it is still a struggle for me to recognize what I am using as I am writing. This year and I want to become better at identifying the difference between the two so I can stop myself and change my sentence structure before I write it down the first time. This way I will be avoiding turning in papers with sentences such as “The action of fighting is praised by Lovelace…”. By taking more care the omit the passive voice from my writing it will be come a lot more straightforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment